Try as we might, we can't control the forces of nature... And when Mother Nature lets off steam, the consequences can be terrifying! Earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados and tsunamis are just some of the devastating natural phenomena that terrorize the Earth and all we can do is run for cover or get as far away as possible as quickly as possible.
Climatic change, whether or not our fault, has seen an increase in extreme weather conditions, but even if nothing dangerous is imminent, nature often reminds us of its superiority as it quietly takes over! The following selection of photos shows the true force of nature, with spectacular results.
1. Better to be above than on the ground!
2. When a tree gobbles up a London mailbox
3. Paraquita Bay in the British Virgin Islands, before and after a hurricane
4. An approaching storm... Time to turn the car around!
5. Some trees prefer benches
6. A tiny plant determined to sprout
7. When lava looks like the entrance to Dante's Inferno
8. The awesome Goðafoss Waterfall in Iceland, which is named after the Norse gods
9. View of an erupting volcano... Magical if it weren't so scary!
10. A volcano that's about to erupt... Kudos to the guy standing on the edge of the crater!
11. Destructive, yet beautiful... A giant ash cloud forms as a volcano erupts
12. Very heavy, localized rainfall
13. If you've ever wondered how big whale sharks are...
14. A giant jellyfish
15. When a desert in Dubai gradually engulfs a road
16. Meanwhile in Canada
17. Did this lighthouse survive?
18. The majesty of the Niagara Falls